Dorridge did not exist as a community until the mid 19th century when the Muntz family granted Great Western Railways the land for a railway line in 1852 on the condition that a station was built here. Folklore suggests that the railway was obliged to stop in Dorridge although confusingly the station was originally called Knowle and then Knowle and Dorridge. The railway had four tracks between Lapworth and Birmingham and was so popular that a bus service was run from the Greswolde Hotel in Knowle at the high cost of 6d.
William Muntz was a descendant of George Frederick Muntz, a man that invented Muntz metal and was charged with rebellion as he tried to undermine the Duke of Wellington with a run on gold. William built and resided in The Forest Hotel which was created so that he, family and guests could catch the early morning train to London. To support the growing community the family also built shops, houses and a doctor’s surgery on Station Approach. In 2001 Gary and Tracy Perkins became the first non Muntz’s to be involved in running the Forest and they are proud to continue the legacy that was started over 150 years ago by the advent of the railways.